Devil Ape Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Devil Ape Clan

European Mortal Kombat X Clan

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 186 on Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:51 am
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics

» [DA-Kombat-League] - Season #1
by llabslb Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:52 am

» I'm back?
by c0ki Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:15 pm

» first DevilApes Tournament
by Vjeekes Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:50 am

» how to beat Jacqui's handgun
by Loogie Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:07 am

» Social Media
by Loogie Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:04 am

» ANSHOXX (real name Yannis)
by Vjeekes Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:59 am

» Kung Lao HAT TRICK possible pressure?
by WamZlay Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:14 pm

» Matthias "Wam-Zlay
by WamZlay Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:42 pm

» DA Matchmaking Forum
by CountryPistol Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:03 pm

» Recruitment
by Vjeekes Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:58 am

» Proposed Tournament Strategy
by Vjeekes Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:37 am

» Newest New Guy
by llabslb Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:10 am

» Euro Kombat
by Vjeekes Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:44 am

» Starting up the forum | Covering Sub Zero
by llabslb Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:06 pm

» Hey!
by c0ki Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:36 pm

» Hii
by Vjeekes Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:17 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Proposed Tournament Strategy

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Proposed Tournament Strategy Empty Proposed Tournament Strategy Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:54 pm

CountryPistol

So after last Friday's EuroKombat I've been thinking what we can do as a clan to help each other improve and stand a better chance at competing in future. The issues I've identified so far are the following:

Communication

For whatever reason, Vlad didn't know he was entered. I've already proposed using WhatsApp or something similar to make inter clan communication better, but I think the best thing we can do here is nominate at least two members to be admins and put them in charge of ensuring everybody knows when and where they are competing. I know the counter argument to this is that everybody should be responsible for themselves, but life gets in the way sometimes and having others to manage things for you can be really helpful.

Match Up Knowledge

The game is still young. Tremor has just been released, and there is a good chance there are even more to come (personally, I'd love if this game got the same mileage as SF4 and grew to a 40+ roster, but I digress). As the weakest player in the clan, I know first hand how daunting the task of learning every variations quirks can be. Whilst we would all like to have frame data and optimal punishes for every move uploaded into our brains Matrix style, the technology simply doesn't exist yet, leaving us to do this the old fashioned way.

The issue of course is that we play to win, and will often gravitate towards the characters that have the tools to win the most. Tempest Lao, Grandmaster Sub, Hellfire Scorpion, Royal Storm Kitana, etc, are becoming more and more prevalent, so it makes sense to learn these match ups and characters, but what happens when we run into a good Mournful Kitana or Spectral Ermac? It seems doubtful, but it will happen one day and our inexperience will lead to us getting blown up.

It's for this reason I propose the following. We first list all of the characters/variations we know and have interest in learning. Then we see where the gaps are, and which players we believe will do the most with said variations (play to their strengths, etc) and allocate accordingly.

This could lead to a lot of fun and variety in our own KOTHs, as well as simultaneously improving everybody's matchup knowledge. It would be a long term project getting every character up to scratch (and might require expanding our numbers by a couple or so), but I think it will be worth it.

Player Knowledge

The best thing about fighting games is playing other living, breathing people. There's nothing quite like getting a read on a person and seeing it pay off.

During tournaments however, you have to build these reads very quickly, and as any poker player will tell you, the first few hands can be very misleading. The other issue with tournament play is the pressure to win, and how thinking about your own play and what's at stake can lead to you getting flustered and missing out on opponents habits. Spectators on the other hand often find they pick up on reads players might miss due to the luxury of being one step removed. Just listen to the commentary for the SF4 Gahndi match to see what I mean.

So, what does this have to do with anything. What I'm thinking is this:

In any streamed tournament, not all DA members should enter. For every x number of DA members playing, there should be y number of DA members ring side, looking for reads and discussing strategies on the PSN feed (or WhatsApp or whatever). If something turns up people haven't seen before, you have somebody to research it either in game or on TYM and look for a counter strategy. If certain members prefer to train inbetween matches to help with nerves, it also means they won't miss out on valuable information. In EuroKombat, for example, I couldn't play but I could watch the stream (reason is, if you are wondering, my son is severely epileptic, so I can only play online in the evenings when he is in bed and my wife can attend to him if he has a seizure). I noticed that one of the Lao players did the same combo every time, which only needed to be blocked high the first two hits. Others may well have noticed this too, but say hypothetically Wam was blocking wrong and not realising why, I could have stepped in at the character select screen and told him. He could then adjust accordingly.

This is also a skill we can practice in KOTH, although how I haven't figured out yet.

So that is the bare bones of my idea. Please chime in and let me know what you think. I'm open to any and all criticisms.

2Proposed Tournament Strategy Empty Re: Proposed Tournament Strategy Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:11 pm

llabslb

llabslb

Match up knowledge is something that is expected of all players. Player knowledge is completely different and can be tough. After EUK2 I've learnt that ping for certain players really need to be addressed.

http://testyourmight.com/members/llabslb.30704/

3Proposed Tournament Strategy Empty Re: Proposed Tournament Strategy Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:40 pm

CountryPistol

Ping in MKX is weird. Take my connection to Vjeekes for example. The other night we played a KOTH sandwiched by two one on one sets. The first one on one showed one red bar, the second all four green, but both sessions played identically to each other (both were very responsive). On the flip side, I've played matches with 4 bars that are like walking through a swamp. Unless NRS introduce actual ping numbers, I don't think Miharo will be able to do much.

As for the match ups, the idea was to reduce the learning curve of the entire group by trying to generate as many different match up scenarios as possible. Training mode is great, but it's no substitute for experience. Unless we're planning on learning to play all 85(?) variations each, I thought dividing them up could prove useful.

4Proposed Tournament Strategy Empty Re: Proposed Tournament Strategy Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:53 pm

llabslb

llabslb

Mortal Kombat X Ping system isn't trustworthy. It's better to test your ping with a legitimate source which can accurately measure ping. Such as speediest.com.

http://testyourmight.com/members/llabslb.30704/

5Proposed Tournament Strategy Empty Re: Proposed Tournament Strategy Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:37 am

Vjeekes

Vjeekes
Wild Ape

CountryPistol wrote:So after last Friday's EuroKombat I've been thinking what we can do as a clan to help each other improve and stand a better chance at competing in future. The issues I've identified so far are the following:

Communication

For whatever reason, Vlad didn't know he was entered. I've already proposed using WhatsApp or something similar to make inter clan communication better, but I think the best thing we can do here is nominate at least two members to be admins and put them in charge of ensuring everybody knows when and where they are competing. I know the counter argument to this is that everybody should be responsible for themselves, but life gets in the way sometimes and having others to manage things for you can be really helpful.

Match Up Knowledge

The game is still young. Tremor has just been released, and there is a good chance there are even more to come (personally, I'd love if this game got the same mileage as SF4 and grew to a 40+ roster, but I digress). As the weakest player in the clan, I know first hand how daunting the task of learning every variations quirks can be. Whilst we would all like to have frame data and optimal punishes for every move uploaded into our brains Matrix style, the technology simply doesn't exist yet, leaving us to do this the old fashioned way.

The issue of course is that we play to win, and will often gravitate towards the characters that have the tools to win the most. Tempest Lao, Grandmaster Sub, Hellfire Scorpion, Royal Storm Kitana, etc, are becoming more and more prevalent, so it makes sense to learn these match ups and characters, but what happens when we run into a good Mournful Kitana or Spectral Ermac? It seems doubtful, but it will happen one day and our inexperience will lead to us getting blown up.

It's for this reason I propose the following. We first list all of the characters/variations we know and have interest in learning. Then we see where the gaps are, and which players we believe will do the most with said variations (play to their strengths, etc) and allocate accordingly.

This could lead to a lot of fun and variety in our own KOTHs, as well as simultaneously improving everybody's matchup knowledge. It would be a long term project getting every character up to scratch (and might require expanding our numbers by a couple or so), but I think it will be worth it.

Player Knowledge

The best thing about fighting games is playing other living, breathing people. There's nothing quite like getting a read on a person and seeing it pay off.

During tournaments however, you have to build these reads very quickly, and as any poker player will tell you, the first few hands can be very misleading. The other issue with tournament play is the pressure to win, and how thinking about your own play and what's at stake can lead to you getting flustered and missing out on opponents habits. Spectators on the other hand often find they pick up on reads players might miss due to the luxury of being one step removed. Just listen to the commentary for the SF4 Gahndi match to see what I mean.

So, what does this have to do with anything. What I'm thinking is this:

In any streamed tournament, not all DA members should enter. For every x number of DA members playing, there should be y number of DA members ring side, looking for reads and discussing strategies on the PSN feed (or WhatsApp or whatever). If something turns up people haven't seen before, you have somebody to research it either in game or on TYM and look for a counter strategy. If certain members prefer to train inbetween matches to help with nerves, it also means they won't miss out on valuable information.  In EuroKombat, for example, I couldn't play but I could watch the stream (reason is, if you are wondering, my son is severely epileptic, so I can only play online in the evenings when he is in bed and my wife can attend to him if he has a seizure). I noticed that one of the Lao players did the same combo every time, which only needed to be blocked high the first two hits. Others may well have noticed this too, but say hypothetically Wam was blocking wrong and not realising why, I could have stepped in at the character select screen and told him. He could then adjust accordingly.

This is also a skill we can practice in KOTH, although how I haven't figured out yet.

So that is the bare bones of my idea. Please chime in and let me know what you think. I'm open to any and all criticisms.

I think its good idea to have a vocal chat on with some other DA members when you are competing in Euro Kombat or other online tournament. This has just to happen on a controlled way, the communication should only take place in between matches in order to not disturb the competer.

I definitly agree on the global MK knowledge that we, as a clan, should try to acquire. Beside fun, this should be one of our main objectives. my matchup knowledge is very poor, for example, I think I only played 2 or 3 Ferra Torrs until now, I have no f*cking idea how to defend his/their attacks.

https://devilapes.forumotion.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum